Temple of Mercury
Cultural itinerary of the Phlegraean Fields
Thus defined by tradition, the Temple of Mercury it was actually a large thermal pool, which in the first half of the first century. AD, it was the "frigidarium" of the spas built in the Julio-Claudian period, located below the Villa dell'Ambulatio.
Pantheon ancestor Hadrian of Rome, the large circular hall with a diameter of 21,50 meters, was decorated with a very precious marble covering, of which only the holes left by the anchoring pins remain. In the ancient basin, once placed at 6,30 meters lower than the current walking surface, water was conveyed through a conduit that collected it from springs located in the tufaceous bank behind.
It can be dated to the end of the first century BC it constitutes the largest dome-covered plant built by the Romans in the republican age.
The internal space is illuminated by four large windows and an eye (lumen), open at the top, of about 4 meters in diameter. An obligatory destination during the Grand Tour of visitors of the VXIII century, the so-called Temple of Mercury, also known as "Truglio" and "Tempio dell'eco", appears in all its original size in an engraving of 1768.
Tuesday through Sunday: The site is open from 9.00 to an hour before sunset. (So the closing time varies according to the season)
Information to be verified
The cost is 4 Euros at full or reduced price for young people and students from 18 to 24 years old at a cost of 2 Euros
Admission is free for: Citizens under the age of 18 of the European Community and non-EU citizens, Italian teaching staff of the school of tenure or on a fixed-term contract, upon presentation of a suitable certificate issued by educational institutions.
1st Sunday of the month, free admission for everyone.
write a comment