Antonino Pio Stadium

Antonino Pio Stadium

Cultural itinerary of the Phlegraean Fields

HISTORICAL DESCRIPTION

The Antonino Pio di Pozzuoli stadium, brought to light in 2008, can be considered of particular importance for the rarity of this type of building in the Western Roman Empire, except for the stadium of Domitian, the other remains of ancient stadiums are found between Greece and Asia Minor.

It was built by the emperor Antoninus Pius, near one of Cicero's villas. In the stadium he organized “Greek” games, called Eusebeia. The attendance of the stadium lasted at least until the beginning of the fourth century AD., when it was abandoned following the edicts of Theodosius.

Around that time a strong flood completely submerged a large part of the stadium, the area was then completely buried following the eruption of Monte Nuovo in 1538, except for the higher parts.

The stadium has the traditional rectangular plan with one of the short curved sides and the other, reserved for the departure of the athletes. On this side there is a monumental passage, which introduced the athletes directly to the track. The spectators entered the cavea, divided into three sectors: the lowest part, the anima cavea, reserved for the most important characters, the middle, reserved for the equestrian class and the summa, the highest part, reserved for the people.

Today the monument appears dismembered following the construction of the modern Via Domiziana in 1932, which cut it lengthwise, compromising its original unity.

TIMETABLES

Information to be verified

COSTS

Information to be verified

ADDRESS AND CONTACT DETAILS

Via Campi Flegrei 11-17,
80078 - Pozzuoli NA

Telephone: 081 19936289 | 081 5233797

NEARBY